Job #5353 Manager, Environmental Health & Safety
Responsible for ensuring compliance with all Environmental, Health, and Safety programs at the Somerset, NJ (Manufacturing) and Cranbury, NJ (R&D) locations, which include federal, state and local regulations, OSHA compliance, employee safety programs (e.g. respiratory protection), hazardous waste, local code and permits, contact for insurance related inspections, and personnel training as required.
- A demonstrated knowledge of OSHA, EPA, DOT, federal, state and local regulations and assure compliance with the program requirements.
- Assist in maintaining the compliance and operation of fire suppression systems
- Assist in building employee/company support of policies related to EHS by leading training and meetings
- Work with local government agencies and insurers for periodic inspections and reporting.
- Provide direction, assistance and support for corrective actions and recommendations to assure safety improvements
- Create a culture of enthusiasm for an injury-free work place by demonstrating an honest and genuine passion for safety
- Assure processes are in places to evaluate near misses; including by not limited to, full investigations, paperwork and corrective actions
- Conduct plant wide inspection to identify work hazards and exposures including ergonomic issues
- Identify trends and action plans for corrective action through Safety Observation Reports
- Create reports of findings with corrective actions and resolutions
- Lead safety committee meetings and develop and lead first responder team and related training
- Ensure environmental reporting for wastewater, air monitoring, etc. as required.
- Ensure environmental and other related permits are updated and maintained as required.
- Conduct and lead emergency response/first responder efforts during crisis
- Assist Human Resources as needed on property, casualty and workers compensation issues
- Act as point of contact with applicable environmental and safety regulatory agencies
- Order (if not handled by a department), ensure compliance, and regulate PPE for employees
- Demonstrated knowledge of hazardous waste manifests, waste codes, and waste profiling.
- Responsible for working with departments on MSDS and Hazard Communications
- Knowledge of safety practices including but not limited to, lockout/tagout, machine guards, hearing conservation, ladder safety, slip, trips and falls, and forklift safety. Ensure engineering controls and procedures are in place.
- Ensure systems are in place for the safe and legal disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous waste.
Bachelor's degree in the area of Environmental studies or Engineering or related field required
7+ years’ of professional industry experience with a strong knowledge of Environmental regulations and Health and Safety regulatory knowledge
Excellent communication skills at all levels within the organization and as well as with outside agencies
Demonstrated experience in the application of EHS management systems.
Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM), and other EHS related certifications or advanced college degree highly preferred
- Ability to drive results, driving change, business understanding and teamwork.
- Thorough understanding of risk management, as relates to environmental, and loss control methodology.
- Direct experience in developing and implementing environmental stewardship programs.
- Direct experience developing and implementing waste minimization plans and programs.
- Direct experience with environmental data systems.
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred