The Spear Group is looking for a Safety Coordinator to work with our Pharmaceutical client located in Somerset, NJ.
Provide support for environmental, health and safety matters for the Somerset site including maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for coordinating regulatory programs, audits, permits and ensure compliance. Support the development and coordination of all EHS related programs and SOPs. Maintain compliance with OSHA, DOT, EPA, NJDEP, IATA, MCUA and local Fire Marshall.
- Maintain logs, documentation manage records and assist in regulatory audits and inspections.
- Active participation in the safety committee and provide daily guidance and direction with EHS programs to re-enforce safety policies, guidelines and procedures established by the Company.
- Assist in the preparation of Job Hazard Analyses, accident, near miss, investigations and corrective actions.
- Participate and assist in the development, management and training of all EHS required programs.
- Ensure all hazardous materials, universal, non hazardous and medical waste are handled, labeled and/or shipped in accordance with regulatory guidelines.
- Arrange for the purchase and distribution of personal protective equipment, including safety shoes and prescriptive eyewear.
- Manage the fire and sprinkler inspection, fire extinguisher, safety shower and eyewash inspections and records.
- Manage Safety Data Sheet record keeping and updating the log.
- Manage and ensure the cleanup and response to all emergencies are handled in accordance with the state and federal regulations.
- Manage sampling and reporting as required by the site’s water discharge permits.
- Stay current on all new safety and environmental regulations as they apply to the site.
- Draft and review SOP’s on an ongoing basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Five (5) years experience in a production or manufacturing environment, pharmaceutical industry is a plus. Able to work independently with minimal supervision. Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Sciences preferred. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs. DOT certified and OSHA 40 hrs certified. CIH and IATA certified is preferred
Ability to meet attendance standards. All full-time employees are required to work a 40-hr week. At times it may be necessary to work additional hours in order to get the required tasks accomplished to meet deadlines.
Able to use personal computer and standard office equipment such as fax and copy machines, calculator, and printers. Aptitude to learn computer programs as needed.
Strong verbal and written communication skills. Resourceful and well organized.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, MENTAL REQUIREMENTS, AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The position requires prolonged sitting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to operate keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Occasional high stress work requires dealing with customers/clients and regulatory agencies. May have exposure to hazardous chemicals. Work will primarily be completed in an office environment. However, there will be a portion of the employees’ time on the production floor, which could require certain Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that will be provided by the employer.
Mental Requirements include:
Ability to hear accurately the spoken word with moderate office noise or plant noise
Ability to apply deductive reasoning and understand complicated issues
Ability to receive instructions and follow work rules and company policies
Ability to follow safety and security practices
Ability to meet deadlines and effectively deal with office stress
Ability to accurately communicate ideas, facts and technical information
Maintain confidentiality of certain information